About VA New Jersey Healthcare System
The VA New Jersey Health Care System provides excellent health care, trains America’s future health care providers, and conducts important medical research.
healthcare and services
We provide medical services in 11 locations in New Jersey. Facilities include hospitals in East Orange and Lyons and nine community-based outpatient clinics in Brick, Hackensack, Hamilton, Jersey City, Morristown, Paterson, Piscataway, Sussex and Tinton Falls. For more information about the services each location offers, please visit the VA New Jersey Health Services page.
The VA New Jersey Healthcare System is one of the major healthcare systems serving veterans in the New York/New Jersey VA Healthcare Network. We are an innovative care center within the Veterans Integrated Services Network 2 (VISN 2), which includes medical centers and clinics in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
More about VISN2
Research and Development
VA New Jersey Healthcare System has an active accredited study program. We are the first VA research program to receive full accreditation from the Association for Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs and one of fewer than 20 institutions with accredited human research programs.
VA New Jersey Healthcare System has over 200 research programs. We conduct research to discover knowledge, develop veteran scientists and healthcare leaders, and create innovation that advances healthcare for veterans and the public. We offer veterans the opportunity to participate in and benefit from our work. Our goal is to use research to promote better health and healthcare for all.
Our main research areas are:
- high blood pressure
- Blood disorders (hematology)
- PTSD and suicide
teaching and learning
The East Orange VA Medical Center and the Lions VA Medical Center are comprehensive medical and surgical teaching hospitals with cutting-edge technology, teaching and research that provide a full range of medical services to veterans.
We actively partner with Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, St. Joseph University Hospital, Hoboken University Hospital and Seton Hall School of Health and Medical Services. We are proud to partner with top institutions and organizations that support VA’s educational mission.
- We publish Stars and Stripes Veterans News, a newsletter written by veterans.
- Our East Orange VA Medical Center maintains one of two new research centers that study how to care for active duty patients and veterans with war-related illnesses.
- Some of our programs are recognized by the VA and the healthcare community, including diabetes education, pulmonary rehabilitation, prosthetics, and homeless outreach.
Our facilities and programs have the following accreditations:
- Human Research Protection Program Accreditation Association
- Joint committee
- Board for Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities
- American Society of Pathologists
- American College of Surgeons, Cancer Committee
- Association for the Evaluation and Accreditation of Laboratory Animals