This is an ongoing list of online activities and local in-person events.
lecture and study
• La Jolla Library Poetry Group Meet at La Jolla/Riford Library, 7555 Draper Ave, on Thursday, August 11th at 2:00 pm. The group meets on the third Thursday of each month to read poems written by participants and share them with other budding and experienced poets. free. e-mail [email protected].
• Provided by the nonprofit Mended Hearts of San Diego “Gadgets, gizmos, and compassionate care equals good health.” Susan Taylor, director of external affairs for Scripps Health, will speak online and at the San Diego Heart Center (3131 Berger Ave.) Saturday, August 13 at 10:00 am. She welcomes the participation of those with heart disease. free. e-mail [email protected] for zoom link.
• Yiddishland California Presents “Beginner Yiddish I” Online Thursday from 1pm to September 15th. Arturo Kerbel teaches you basic words and useful phrases. Music and poetry are also introduced. $25 per class. bit.ly/yiddishaug
• Pen to Paper Writing Class Held every Thursday at 1:00 pm at La Jolla/Riford Library, 7555 Draper Ave. Weekly classes are open to her 18+ writers of all experience levels. free. (858) 552-1657
family and children
• La Jolla/Riford Library marine life festival Hosted by Teen Troupe at 7555 Draper Ave. Library on Friday, August 12 at 3:00 pm, the event features marine specimens donated by local scientists. free. lajolllibrary.org
Health & fitness
buddhi yoga gift “Mother and Daughter Yoga — Developing a Healthy Friendship with Erica Rude” Saturday, August 13, at 1:00 pm, 7843 Girard Ave., La Jolla. This event is for girls aged 8 to her 12 and their mothers. $49 per pair. buddhiyogalj.com
• Gifts from La Jolla Woman’s Club “Gentle Yoga” It’s 11:30 am on Thursday and the address is 7791 Draper Ave. Weekly classes are for all levels and are open to the public. $15.
art and culture
• The Athenaeum Music & Arts Library is the 16th “Flick on the Brick” The outdoor film series will screen at 1008 Wall Street in La Jolla on Thursdays, August 11th through 7:30pm. His three-week-long film series, directed by the late Ernst Lubitsch, is curated and featured by KPBS film critic Beth Acmand. Athenaeum members are $15 per film, $20 for non-members, $39 for member series, $54 for non-members. Guest must be 21 years of age or older. ljathenaeum.org/flicks
• Giveaway from the Athenaeum Music & Arts Library Harvard Ding & Tonics Friday, August 12, at 7:30 p.m., 1008 Wall Street, La Jolla. Harvard University’s leading jazz a cappella groups perform songs from a variety of genres. $25. ljathenaeum.org
• BFree Studio is “Photographer’s Talk” San Diego artist Richard Ybarra’s exhibition, “Lights, Night: Neon — Photographs That Glow,” opens Friday, August 12 at 5 p.m. at 7857 Girard Avenue in La Jolla. Ybarra discusses his photography collection over 40 years. The exhibition is on until Monday, August 15th. free.bfreestudio.net
• Quint Gallery hosts artist talk and opening reception “New Sculpture” Saturday, August 13, at 5:00 pm, 7655 Girard Ave., La Jolla. The exhibit, which showcases work by San Diego artists Adam Belt and Christopher Pugio and Bay Area artist Chris Thorson, runs through Saturday, September 17. Free. quintgallery.com
• Introduction to Film Historians by DG Wills BooksNoah Eisenberg Saturday, August 13, 7:00 p.m., 7461 Girard Ave, La Jolla. Isenberg describes his book “Bill Wilder on Assignment: Dispatches from Weimar Berlin and Interwar Vienna”. free. dgwillsbooks.com
• Stellarum Chamber Choir will hold a concert at St. James-by-the-Sea Episcopal Church at 743 Prospect Street in La Jolla on Saturday, August 13th at 7pm. His 12-member amateur choir led by Benjamin Thiele-Long. free. bit.ly/StellarumAug13
• Attendance of friends from the La Jolla Library “Ode to the Blue Forest” On display at 7555 Draper Ave. through Saturday, August 13th. This exhibit features cyanotypes by La Jolla photographer and marine scientist Oriana Poindexter. free. orianapoindexter.com
• Presented by the La Jolla Music Society “Wagner effect” Sunday, August 14, 3:00 PM, 7600 Fay Ave, $48+. ljms.org
• Warwick’s Bookstore, Book Passage, Books Inc., Copperfield’s, Skylight Books Current Authors Julian Burns Wednesday, August 17th at noon, online. Burns talks about his new book, “Elizabeth Finch.” free. warwicks.com/event/barnes-2022
• The La Jolla Community Center and La Jolla Art Association will host a reception for new projects. Art exhibition Thursday, August 18, 4 p.m., 6811 La Jolla Blvd. It runs until Monday 10th October. Free.Register by email[email protected].
Warwick’s bookstore introduces authors Rebecca WolfThursday, August 18, at 7:30 p.m., 7812 Girard Ave, La Jolla. Wolfe plans to discuss and sign her new book, All of This: A Memoir of Death and Desire. Free or reserved seats and a copy of the book is her $26.99. warwicks.com/event/woolf-2022
• Giveaway at La Jolla Playhouse “here is blueberry”Through Sunday, August 21st at the Sheila and Hughes Potiker Theater at 2910 La Jolla Village Drive. The play is about an album of never-before-seen World War II-era photographs. $25 and up. lajollaplayhouse.org/show/here-there-are-blueberries
• Exhibition by L&G Project“Here Comes The Sun”Until Saturday, August 27th, the address is 7940 Herschel Ave., La Jolla. The show features the work of Israeli artist Orit Fuchs. free. landgprojects.com
• RB Stevenson Gallery Present“Multiple Insights”Until Saturday, August 27th, at 7661 Girard Ave., La Jolla. The exhibition features paintings and sculptures by a selection of gallery artists. free. rbstevensongallery.com
• The Athenaeum Music & Arts Library is 30th Annual Jury exhibition Until Friday, September 2nd, at 1008 Wall St., La Jolla. Selected artists will exhibit their work. free. ljathenaeum.org
• Gifts from the La Jolla Historical Society“Lesbian voice”On display at 780 Prospect Street through Sunday, September 4th. The exhibit aims to remind viewers of the continued presence of Native Americans in Southern California and some of the art they create. free. lajollahistory.org
gala and event
• The Lodge at Torrey Pines hosts the following events.Artisan Table Signature Wine Dinner SeriesThursday, August 18th at 6pm, AR Valentien Restaurant, 11480 N. Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla. The communal meal will be paired with Paul Hobbs wines from his winery. $295. Lodgetorreypines.com/events-calendar
Have an event (online or in person) you’d like to see here? Email your leads to [email protected]. ◆