Marietta hits back at Logan, uses second half to win | News, Sports, Jobs

Marietta’s Caitlin Schenkel is battling for the ball against Logan’s pair of Josie Rimkus, 12, and Kinsey Myers, 22, in a game at Jerry Bullock Field in Devora on Monday. He was one of four Tigers to score in the 4-3 win. (Photo by Kelly Patrick)

DEVOLA — The thunder in the background is an aftershock for the Marietta Girls soccer team, likely due to a scoring onslaught late in the second half against Logan at Jerry Bullock Field on Monday night.

The Tigers recovered from a two-point deficit to win 4-3 when the game was halted due to weather with less than nine minutes remaining in the second half.

Kensley Urban scored a nifty pass from his teammate at the 10:16 mark to finally score the game-winning goal. This completed a three-minute sequence that saw three unanswered Tigers his goals.

Marietta, who has improved to 2-0-1, travels to Dover on Thursday to wrap up the week with a match against Parkersburg South at the Ericsson All Sports facility on Saturday afternoon.

Logan’s striker’s speed kept Marietta 2–0 away in the first 20 minutes of the first half. Both Dani Mahaffey and Kari Strauss scored for the Chieftains as a result of the breakaways created by the offense.

Logan’s scoring chances diminished as Marietta controlled two-thirds of the field in the final 17 minutes of the first half.

Just before halftime, Marietta took a break when Logan whistled for a handball inside the box. Urban’s penalty his kick was muffled by Logan’s keeper Sarah Schwartz, but the Tigers continued to press in the box and scored several rebounds. Elena his Soria missed a golden chance, but Kristen his puff collected a putback and found the back of the net.

Both teams entered halftime with Logan leading 2–1.

Logan picked up momentum in the first ten minutes of the break. Both Mahaffey and Strauss failed to convert on the breakaway and Marietta could not find his last third of the pitch.

At 21:51, Logan finally broke through. Marietta’s keeper Reiga her Lauer faced a barrage of shots during possession, but Claire he was closed out with a goal by Warren.

For the next eight minutes, both sides were essentially in a stalemate.

As in the second half of the first 40 minutes, the Tigers offense geared up. Millie Becker took a defender 1-1 near the box and with 13:03 still on the clock, ripped through the middle of the shot and passed the Logan keeper before using the opponent as a shield There is a possibility.

Just over a minute had passed when teammate Kaitlyn Schenkel lined up for a direct kick and led the ball between the keeper’s fingertips and the crossbar to tie it 3-3 at 11:52. .

Less than two minutes after Urban’s goal, the referee called for a 30-minute weather delay at 8:50. After all, the match was stopped.

Kelly Patrick can be reached at [email protected].

Get today’s breaking news and more in your inbox

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *