Noyak rental home owners face 29 code violations following deadly fire

The owner of the East End home where two sisters died in a fire earlier this month received 29 code violations related to rents, plumbing and building permits, according to court records.

News 12 reported that two sisters from Maryland, Lindsay Weiner, 19, and Jillian Weiner, 21, died in a home fire in Noyack, Spring Lane. The other three escaped. The family was vacationing in their rental home when the fire broke out on August 3rd.

Pamela and Peter Miller appeared in Southampton Justice Court to face those citations.

The owner has received a residency certificate for a major renovation inside the house. However, inspectors found problems with the work done outside the home.

According to these citations, the owner did not even receive a certificate of conformity for the piping system.

Southampton town officials believe the fatal fire started in an outdoor kitchen.

According to Southampton, outdoor kitchen areas, including connected utilities, were completely disallowed. Smoke detectors were not properly serviced and there was no carbon monoxide detector.

Other charges were also filed relating to various items in the house and pool safety.

News 12 has reached out to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office about potential criminal charges. “It’s still under discussion,” he said.

Rental sites like Airbnb say it’s the homeowner’s responsibility to comply with local laws.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *